Mexican bean soup with tortillas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- cooking spray oil
- 1 medium green capsicum, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 35g packet taco seasoning
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 3 ½ cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (or salt-reduced chicken stock)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 420g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed (to serve)
1 Heat a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Spray onion with cooking oil. Add to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
2 Stir in the capsicum, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until well combined.
3 Sprinkle over taco seasoning and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
4 Add beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes or until hot. Stir in half the coriander. Taste and season with freshly ground black pepper.
5 Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with remaining coriander and serve with warm tortillas.
For an Italian flavour, use cannellini or borlotti beans in place of kidney beans, an Italian herb mix instead of the taco mix, and finish with parsley instead of coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6.4g
–Saturated fat 0.9g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.